Welcome to my blog - a collection of thoughts and musings on the world of writing, books and all those wordy type things.

Tuesday 3 September 2013

Editing - still!

As I mentioned previously, following the disappointment of having a publisher pull out of a contract on a self help book, I've turned back to novels and pulled out one that I wrote some time ago with the aim of doing some serious editing and rewriting.

Editing Pass One is now complete and I have more of an idea as to what needs to be changed and added in order to help make it a better piece. I've done some of this but there's still definitely plenty to go and sometimes it does feel a bit overwhelming and a case of 'I'm not even sure how to do all this!'. That's a bit scary and the confidence goes a bit wobbly and I have plenty of moments when I sit there and think 'What on Earth made me think I could do this?!'

But then I read this quote on Twitter:

'A writer should always feel like he’s in over his head'. ~Michael Cunningham

To be honest, it made me feel a lot better, and relieved a bit of that 'Is it just me?' worry. So whilst I may well be in over my head, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

In the meantime, I shall keep doing my best to bob to the surface for large gulps of air and then dive back in with my characters. With a bit of luck, we'll all get there in the end.

Do you ever feel like you're in over you head, and has there been a quote that's helped you along? I'd love to hear so feel free to leave a comment below!

6 comments:

  1. My quotes are always where I am in my own writing process. There are some universal truths when it comes to everyone's writing and one of them is that it is awfully hard work. We imagine other authors always inspired, attending soirees (where they are inevitably the life of the party)when in truth it's a lot of work done alone.
    Alex Myers
    Alex_Austin (on Twitter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely good to hear I'm not alone in my panicky moments...or in my lack of invites to attend soirees!

      Delete
  2. Having got completely engrossed in Jasper Fforde's books I have come to the conclusion I am never going to write anything to match his works. I have trouble getting a single chapter together, he has eight books that all tie together. Good luck with the editing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we all gave up writing having read something we loved, then I think there would be a lot fewer books in the world. And for the most part, that would be a great shame. Got to keep trying! :)

      Delete
  3. I am often in over my head, though I have learned to tread water and not panic. I'm not much of a one for quotes - I like them when I read them and then promptly forget them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very rare that I remember them either - (that I remember anything in actual fact!) but this one particularly stuck with me.

      Delete

I love to hear your feedback, thoughts and ideas but please be kind and play nice so that it's enjoyable for everyone. Thank you :)