Welcome to my blog - a collection of thoughts and musings on the world of writing, books and all those wordy type things.

Thursday 29 November 2012

Research and Editing

I tend to be a 'one project at a time' kind of girl. It just works best for me, whether it is writing, paper crafting, sewing or whatever. I'm pretty easily distracted anyway (the times I've walked in and found the dishwasher half emptied and thought, 'Ohhhh right, I was doing that, wasn't I?' I can't tell you), so having all my focus on one thing is my preference.

But sometimes. especially when it comes to writing, it just doesn't work like that. There are articles to write, pitches to make and books to get on with. And I just have to adapt.

I have a couple of (main) projects on the go at the moment. One is starting the research for a non fiction book and the other is editing a novel I wrote some time back. I really liked it but things happened and nothing was ever really done with it. With the benefit of having been away from it for a long while, I've now started going back over and making a few changes. I think there will probably be more than I originally thought so the timescale I'd estimated might go over too but what can you do? If it needs doing, it needs doing right!

The other is starting to generate what will likely be quite a lot of research....

 
I'm wondering how others collate their research, in order to keep it accessible. Do you keep it all on computer or print it out or both or - shock! - hand write it? Although I've written a previous book (different subject), and various articles, I'm just pondering as to whether my method is the most efficient.
 
I'd love to hear others input on how you work best when it comes to research. Please do leave me a comment below.
 
Thanks for reading. 

2 comments:

  1. I spent almost 12 years on one project...I've used the research for some articles and one day it will become a non-fiction book. Still need to check a few more facts...

    The info is on my PC as original or scanned documents, in a filing cabinet and in a storage box. I know where it all is, I just wish it would stop growing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! 12 years - hats off to you! Good luck with the book. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your feedback, thoughts and ideas but please be kind and play nice so that it's enjoyable for everyone. Thank you :)